Thursday, July 5, 2012

How To Make Sand Dollars White

Me and My best friend went to St. Simmons Island for the Fourth of July and decided to walk the beach before watching the fireworks and we found some dead Sand Dollars along the way.
So I know the Sand Dollars in the stores are just so pretty and you have nothing to do to make them white, but if you are like my family we love walking the beach! We love finding shells and bringing them home, so I though I would share with you how to remove the ugly brown "skin" from them so you can have pretty WHITE Sand Dollars that you or the kids found, so you can display them!

Step 1: get some Bleach and a bowl that your Sand Dollars will fit it. Pour just enough so that the Sand Dollars can float in the bleach. Rinse the Sand Dollars and make sure you get all the sand off! Be VERY gentle, they can break from to much water pressure coming out of the faucet.

Step 2: Put the Sand Dollar in the bleach. I put them upside down, it seems to have a much better effect because the Sand Dollars like to float and that means the side up doesn't whiten as well, to me I would rather have the side everyone will see be whiter!


Step 3: After a little bit a white substance will form on the Sand Dollar. You can take them out and rinse them off (be gentle they are even more brittle now) and see if they have reached your desired tint of white. I left mine in there around 10 minutes, I have never left one in there longer than 20 minutes, they start to fall apart when you pull them out if you leave it in there too long.


If you get one that looks like this don't worry, it just means it isn't done. Stick it back in the bleach and let it soak a bit longer.


Step 4: Let them dry! And presto, you have pretty white Sand Dollars!


Happy Fourth of July Everyone! 

Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment